Spring Is Here… You Should Clean Your Bong
Spring is the perfect opportunity to clean out old clutter and throw away waste. I’m sure your bong is the epitome of old cluttered resin and could using a good cleaning. So why not take the this time and do so some spring cleaning of your own. Here’s how to get your bong looking like new!
1. Get your supplies
If you want to properly clean your bong you’ll need the following things:
- Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) to clean the resin off the glass of your bong
- Some latex gloves maybe because rubbing alcohol will dry out your skin and old bong resin is nasty
- Salt or Rice – something mildly abrasive to help the cleaning process
- Small pieces of fabric and cotton wool to plug your stem and cover the tube of your bong
- Rubber bands to secure everything in place while you’re shaking
- Pipe cleaners /Q-Tips and other things you can think of for getting into the stem and other difficult places
Once you’ve gathered your supplies, you’re ready to start cleaning your bong.
2. Dismantle and Rinse
Carefully take apart your bong and rinse it with hot water to loosen the resin. Don’t half-ass it either. Take it all apart and give it a really good rinse with hot water. Emphasis on HOT WATER.
3. Add your alcohol and salts
Now it’s time to add your alcohol and salts / rice to the bong. Add the salts / rice first, and use enough so that it doesn’t dissolve in the alcohol. If you let it dissolve, it won’t create enough abrasion for scrubbing. After you’ve put the alcohol in, cover the stem and the tube with pieces of cotton or fabric and secure them.
4. Shake and repeat
Now, shake it aggressively. When your arms are sore from shaking, shake some more. Shake for at least five minutes! Use your hands, fingers and thumbs to block up the holes to prevent the salt / rice and alcohol from going everywhere.
The same goes if you are cleaning a pipe, and you can take apart the bowl. Cover all of the holes in the bowl with your hand and repeat the same process.
If it’s really dirty, you might need to do this more than once. Then put it in the toilet. Flush it away. Say goodbye to that stinky funky stuff in your bong.
5. Pay attention to detail
There are some parts of your bong that won’t get cleaned properly in this process, such as the stem. You can put some pipe cleaners in rubbing alcohol and use that to clean those stubborn places.
Then just rinse one more time with hot water – it helps to get the smell of alcohol out of your piece. Leave it to dry. And enjoy that very first smoke you get out of your glistening, clean bong.